8oz plain flour
4oz self-raising flour
4 tsps ground ginger
1/2 pink milk
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1) Grease and line a 2lb plus a 1lb loaf tin (or alternatively, an 8"x12" square tin). Preheat oven to 150C.
2) Heat margarine, sugar, and treacle in a saucepan until melted.
3) Sift flour, ginger, and cinnamon together into a bowl. Stir in the treacle mixture and the beaten egg.
4) Warm milk to lukewarm, stir in bicarbonate of soda, and add to flour mixture. (This will make the mixture very liquid. Do not panic!)
5) Beat well and pour into tins.
6) Bake for 1.5 to 2 hours.
This is not a cheap recipe. In particular, it uses a lot of sugar and margarine. Nevertheless, it makes a large quantity of a dense, rich cake, which freezes well. What's more, it can be baked for about the same time and temperature as a casserole, making full use of the oven. And it is delicious!