2 chicken breasts
1/2 a medium onion
1/2 cup sweetcorn
1tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp plain flour
1/2 cup milk
salt and freshly ground pepper
For the shortcrust pastry:
1 cup plain flour
3 oz margarine
1) First make the pastry. Mix the flour and the margarine into 'breadcrumbs' and add the salt. (It is easiest to do this in a food processer.) Add enough cold water to bind into a ball of dough. Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge to rest for at least half an hour, or make in advance and keep for up to 3 days.
2) Chop the mushrooms and onions and fry in the vegetable oil until cooked and lightly browned. Add the sweetcorn and fry briefly. Remove to a plate.
3) Fry the chicken chunks until lightly browned on all sides, but not cooked all the way through. Add more oil if needed.
4) Sprinkle the flour into the pan with the chicken, add the seasoning, and fry briefly.
5) Put chicken and vegetables into a shallow oven-proof dish, and pour over the milk.
6) Now roll out the pastry to the size and shape of the oven-proof dish. Place over the top of the chicken mixture and press round the edges to seal. Cut three slashes in the middle of the pie to allow steam to escape.
7) Bake in a 160C oven for around half an hour, or until pastry is lightly browned. Serve immediately.